Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The “Harmony” of ONE Remote

When I sat down one morning to watch the news before heading into work, I looked at my stack of remote controls and realized that they have taken over my magazine holder next to my chair. With one remote for every single device sitting around my TV, it’s a little crazy. There is the one for the TV of course, and the cable box, the Blu-ray player, my surround sound receiver, the VCR that I just can’t get rid of, and my game console (got to love a device that can play games and play Netflix movies). Then I thought about it a little more; to watch a Blu-ray movie, I have to turn on the TV and set it to the right input, then turn on the surround sound and put that one to the right input, then turn on the Blu-ray player…it’s a labyrinth to navigate. So I looked around to see what my options are for universal remotes, and what I found was worth the search.
When I Googled universal remotes, I got a slew of basic remotes that you can program 3 or 4 devices to, definitely not good enough. Then I came across the Logitech web site, from being in the computer business for a quite some time the Logitech name is synonymous with great electronic accessories. Within their website they show a series of universal remotes called Harmony. With features like “One-Touch Activity-Based Control” (the ability to hit one button when you want to do something, i.e. when you want to watch a Blu-ray it turns on the TV to the right input, the surround sound, and the Blu-ray player), and the ability to control up to 15 different devices (5 for the lower end versions), I was sold.
Well, I ordered one, the “Logitech Harmony One Advanced Universal Remote,” and I LOVE it. Once configured, it was a breeze to change from watching cable to watching a movie. Also, I pre-programed the settings that I want, so when I change to a different device, I don’t have to adjust the volume or change inputs. And best of all, I don’t have to dig through a basket of remotes anymore to grab the right one!
But guess what, there is one fun problem with this remote. If you don’t have any clue about technology, it will take FOREVER to program this thing the way you want it. Basically it has to be connected to your computer via USB and configured through its own software. Luckily I have the tech know how, and a co-worker who configures these things all the time. So I do suggest, if you are tired of multiple remotes lying around and trying to figure out what one does what, then getting one of these remotes will make life easier. And if you need the help setting it up, you can always call NerdsToGo.
 
image001